- Volunteer Opportunities / Responsibilities: Numerous volunteer opportunities exist:
1) Book Bunch:
* help lead a story time for families with children 0-3 years at the Mary Virginia Merrick Recreation Center in Southeast DC. Sessions include read aloud, interactive activities, snack and book distribution. Book Bunch is held Monthly on Saturday mornings.
*hold a board book drive to help collect new books for Book Bunch participants and community members.
2) Beloved Babies Layette Program:
*knitting/crocheting- create 36" X 36" blankets for at-risk mothers with newborns.
* volunteer drives - hold either a diaper drive or board book drive to help us collect the necessary items for our layettes
* repackaging/layette assembly - help repackage diapers and prepare blankets to go into the layettes.
* layette delivery - help deliver layettes to local agencies who reach out to new, young mothers at risk. Deliveries typically occur the second full week of every month and cover the DC, Montgomery County and PG County areas. Volunteers typically each deliver to one agency every other month. Directions are provided. Pick up is at CCS office in Friendship Heights.
3) Student Success Program:
*tutor grade school children grades 1-6 specifically in reading/decoding. Tutors use a phonics based curriculum. Training and materials provided. Tutoring takes place during the school day - Monday through Friday.
*provide homework help for an after-school program at the Merrick Center in Southeast DC for girls ages 8-18.
4) Girls on the Rise Program:
*volunteers provide workshops in wellness, recreation, the arts, and entrepreneurship through after-school program at the Merrick Recreation Center in Southeast DC. Program meets daily from 3:15 - 6:00 pm.
4) Christ Child Opportunity Shop:
*volunteer at our Christ Child Society Opportunity Shop,a high end consignment shop that raises funds for the Society's programs for children. Shop is located in Georgetown and is open 7 days per week.
- Types of Volunteers Needed: individual/adult; adult groups of less than 5; individual/high school
- Hours Needed: business hours during the week; daytime on the weekend