Project Change believes that young people can drive positive change in our world. Programs on leadership development, community service, and health and safety encourage Montgomery County students to identify their passions while honing their ability to lead and mentor their peers. You Have the Power! high school mentors work with younger students to raise awareness about bullying, its consequences, and the importance of being anti-bullying allies. A musical theater program teaches problem solving, self-management, and creativity while exploring critical issues like gangs, drugs, and bullying. Trained high schoolers (alongside adult advisors) also mentor middle school students on goal setting and leadership development, and both groups go on to lead their own school-wide campaigns or community service projects. You can inspire a new generation of confident leaders to act now – and to pay it forward.
Headquarters: MD-Montgomery County
Where They Operate: MD-Montgomery County
Age Groups Served: Pre-teen/teen (12-17)
Population(s) Served: Students
Schools They Work In: James Hubert Blake High School; Col. Zadok Magruder High School; Our Lady of Good Counsel High School; Sherwood High School; Argyle Middle School; William H. Farquhar Middle School; Francis Scott Key Middle School; Gaithersburg Middle School; Redland Middle School; Roberto Clemente Middle School; Rosa Parks Middle School
Awards & Recognition
• 2018 Project Change selected as “one of the best” nonprofits by the Catalogue for Philanthropy
• 2015 Athena Award recipient, Executvie Director, Dedication of Self…Generosity of Spirit
• 2012 Athena Award Nominee, Executive Director, supporting and honoring women leaders
• 2010 Nancy Dworkin Outstanding Service to Youth Award Montgomery County Commission on Children and Youth
• 2009 Member of workgroup charged with drafting the Board of Education Policy for Bullying, Harassment, or Intimidation for Montgomery County Public Schools in Maryland
• 2007 Contribution to Community Award from the Greater Olney Civic Association
• 2007 Montgomery County Board of Education 11th Annual Distinguished Service to Public Education Award presented to PROJECT CHANGE for its signature program, You Have The Power!
• 2006 Legislative Citation from Maryland General Assembly to Project Change for the You Have The Power! Bullying Prevention Peer Education Project
• 2006 Awarded the Montgomery County Drawing the Line on Under 21 Grant.
• 2000 Presented the Olney Chamber of Commerce Community Service Award
• 1999 Received both the National Safety Council Green Cross Award and the Greater Olney Civic Association (GOCA) Community Service Award.
- No stories found
- $3 million or higher
- $1 million to $3 million
- $500k to $1 million
- Less than $500k
Catalogue charities range in size from $100,000 to
About the Catalogue for Philanthropy
Each year 120 expert reviewers evaluate applicants for distinction, merit, and impact. Each featured charity has been successfully site visited and its financials given the thumbs up. The Catalogue for Philanthropy charges no fees and raises funds separately to support its work. Since 2003, it has raised over $40 million for charities across the Greater Washington region.
The Catalogue for Philanthropy looks to friends like you to keep our services independent and entirely free of charge. Consider a small contribution to the Catalogue to cap off your gift and help the causes you care about get the full support they deserve!