Volunteer Opportunities / Responsibilities: 1) Soccer Referees are needed for elementary and middle school games from 3:45 – 6PM each Thursday and Friday during the fall (September-November) season. Locations vary. No prior experience needed!
2) Assistant Soccer Coaches and Assistant Creative Writing Coaches are needed during the after-school program hours of 3:00 – 6:00PM, Monday-Friday.
3) Summer Camp Counselors help in a variety of ways at one of DC SCORES’ three summer camps! (Late June-early August)
4) Corporate/Group Volunteers are encouraged to help us at one of our special events (see below for descriptions)
5) High School Student Volunteers seeking community service hours are encouraged to volunteer as a Soccer Referee, Summer Camp Counselor, or at a Special Event.
6) Other – Are you a skilled Photographer/Videographer? Graphic Design expert? Local artist? Own a restaurant? Donate your skills to DC SCORES or lend us your space for a fundraising event.
7) SPECIAL EVENTS Special Events/Group Volunteers (weekend/late weeknight) DC SCORES hosts several special events throughout the year. The Fall Frenzy, Poetry Slam! and Jamboree! are program related and involve our poet-athletes, while the SCORES Cup is a fundraising event that involves no interaction with the students. Although not all events are listed, the primary DC SCORES events include:
A) Fall Frenzy October 15 @ Trinity University 7:00AM – 3:00PM The Fall Frenzy is a day-long celebration of our fall season that includes a round-robin soccer tournament and other various outdoor activities for our elementary school students and their families to enjoy. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, referees, arts & crafts leaders, facepainters, lunch servers, and field monitors.
This two-night, city-wide, spoken-word competition features performances of DC SCORES students and their original works of poetry. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, ushers, scoring assistants, and stagehands.
C) Jamboree! June 2, 2018 @ Anacostia Park, 8:00AM – 3:00PM The Jamboree! is our year-end culminating celebration of the DC SCORES programming year. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, referees, arts & crafts leaders, facepainters, lunch servers, and field monitors.
D) SCORES Cup June 23, 2016 @ Maryland SoccerPlex (Gaithersburg, MD), 8:00AM – 3:00PM The SCORES Cup is our annual adult co-ed soccer tournament made up of local companies, law firms, small businesses and soccer organizations. Volunteer roles include setup/breakdown, registration, field marshals, lunch servers, and photography.
Types of Volunteers Needed: individual/adult; adult groups of less than 5; individual/high school; families with children; adult groups of 6 or more, including corporate teams; adult groups of 6 or more, including corporate teams
Hours Needed: business hours during the week; daytime on the weekend
The Fall Frenzy, held each October, is one of the premier events of the DC SCORES fall season and brings together the elementary school program as well as family, community members, volunteers, longtime supporters of the program and others. More than 800 students representing DC SCORES’ elementary public and public charter schools compete in a round-robin soccer tournament and rotate between other activities such as face painting; fitness booths; relay races; a creative expression table and more. Over 1,000 people annually attend the Fall Frenzy at Trinity University.
When: Saturday, October 14, 2017 (7:30 AM - 3:00 PM)
Where: Trinity Washington University (athletic fields) , 125 Michigan Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20017 map
Volunteer Info: Volunteer opportunities include working at activity booths, refereeing soccer games, distributing lunch, and set-up/clean-up of the event.