Apply to the Catalogue for Philanthropy
Our 2018 application has closed. Please contact us with any questions at 202-955-6538 or email email@example.com.
Or, click here to be notified when it reopens in January 2019!
Who We Are: An Overview
The mission of the Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington is to create strong and vibrant communities by connecting caring citizens with worthy community causes. For donors‚ this means we take the guesswork out of giving by identifying the best community-based charities in Washington D.C. and nearby Maryland and Virginia counties. For nonprofits‚ it means we raise visibility through the distribution of our annual print Catalogue‚ events‚ and campaigns‚ and we create resources and run educational workshops throughout the year to help elevate their capacity to do good.
PLEASE NOTE: The Catalogue is NOT a grant-making organization. To facilitate the giving process for donors‚ we accept donations as agents of our charities and pass these on to them‚ as directed by donors. (Donors also make direct contributions to our nonprofit partners. We ask donors to tell their recipients that they found them in the Catalogue.) We charge no fees for the work we do and are supported entirely by outside donations.
Being part of our network means you’ll be recognized as “one of the best” high-impact‚ community-based nonprofits in our region—something that means so much to supporters‚ both existing and new. While we do not guarantee a specific financial benefit‚ our track record shows that when nonprofits engage in a committed partnership with us‚ they receive both financial and other returns. (The Catalogue has helped raise over $40 million since 2003.)
Key Dates (2018)
- January 3, 2018: Application Opens
- February 20, 2018: Financial Application In-Person Workshop, Register Here
- 11:59 pm February 28, 2018: Applications are due
How to Apply
We encourage you to review the eligibility guidelines below‚ as well as our application guidelines and instructions and our FAQ section before starting your application. Organizations eligible to be part of the Catalogue must:
- Be a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization;
- Have an operating budget between $100,000 and $3 million (nonprofits featured in print or on the web in 2014-15 that have grown beyond our $3 million limit may reapply and‚ if successful‚ will be eligible for all Catalogue benefits but may be featured on the web only, not in the print Catalogue);
- NOT have been featured in the 2015-16, 2016-17, or 2017-18 print Catalogue (though organizations featured ONLY on the website in these years may reapply in 2018 to be re-featured in print if they have budgets below $3 million);
- Serve the people and communities of the greater Washington region & have headquarters locally
- Agree to adhere to our nondiscrimination policy which requires all of our nonprofit partners to affirm their commitment to core values of non-discrimination consistent with ours.
Organizations headquartered in Prince George's or Charles County, MD, Prince William or Loudon County, VA, or Wards 7 or 8, DC are encouraged to apply. Additionally, organizations whose primary focus area benefits immigrants & refugees, formerly incarcerated, the LGBTQ community, or adult education are also encouraged to apply. While these areas are of special focus given current under-representation in our network, all nonprofits in our geographic region within our budget range, regardless of issue, are welcome to apply.
Please note that beginning in 2018, international organizations are no longer eligible to apply.