Apply to the Catalogue for Philanthropy
Our 2021 application window is now CLOSED. Please click here to be notified when our next cycle opens in December!
Who We Are: An Overview
The mission of the Catalogue for Philanthropy: Greater Washington is to create strong and vibrant communities by connecting caring citizens with worthy community causes. For donors‚ this means we take the guesswork out of giving by identifying the best community-based charities in Washington D.C. and nearby Maryland and Virginia counties. For nonprofits‚ it means we raise visibility through the distribution of our annual print Catalogue‚ events‚ and campaigns‚ and we create resources and run educational workshops throughout the year to help elevate their capacity to do good.
PLEASE NOTE: The Catalogue is NOT a grant-making organization. To facilitate the giving process for donors‚ we accept donations as agents of our charities and pass these on to them‚ as directed by donors. (Donors also make direct contributions to our nonprofit partners. We ask donors to tell their recipients that they found them in the Catalogue.) We charge no fees for the work we do and are supported entirely by outside donations.
Being part of our network means you’ll be recognized as one of the best high-impact‚ community-based nonprofits in our region—something that means so much to supporters‚ both existing and new. While we do not guarantee a specific financial benefit‚ our track record shows that when nonprofits engage in a committed partnership with us‚ they receive both financial and other returns. (The Catalogue has helped raise over $40 million since 2003.)
Key Dates (2021 cycle)
- December 14, 2020: Application Opens
- 11:00 am December 18, 2020: Catalogue Application: Overview, Tips and Tricks (via webinar) - View recording
- 1:00 pm January 13, 2021: Catalogue Application: Overview, Tips and Tricks (via webinar) - View recording
- 10:00 am January 28, 2021: Catalogue Application: Overview, Tips and Tricks (via webinar) - View recording
- 12:00 pm February 3, 2021: Catalogue Application: Ask Us Anything! (via webinar) - View recording
- 5:00 pm February 19, 2021: Applications are due
How to Apply
Click here to begin your application.
We encourage you to review the eligibility guidelines below‚ as well as our application instructions and our FAQ section before starting your application. Organizations eligible to be part of the Catalogue must:
- Be a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization;
- Have an operating budget between $100,000 and $4 million (current partners that have grown beyond our $4 million limit may reapply but, if successful, will be featured on the web only);
- NOT have been featured in the 2018-19, 2019-20, or 2020-21 print Catalogue
- Provide the majority of your services to people and communities of the greater Washington region & have headquarters locally
- Agree to adhere to our Non-Discrimination Policy which requires all of our nonprofit partners to affirm their commitment to core values of non-discrimination consistent with ours.
Organizations headquartered in Prince George's or Charles County, MD, Prince William or Loudoun County, VA, or Wards 7 or 8 in DC are encouraged to apply. Additionally, organizations whose primary focus area benefits immigrants & refugees, the formerly incarcerated, the LGBTQ community, or girls and women are also encouraged to apply. While these areas are of special focus given current under-representation in our network, all nonprofits in our geographic region within our budget range, regardless of issue, are welcome to apply.
Please note that international organizations are no longer eligible to apply.