Serious childhood illness takes a tremendous toll on the entire family, both emotionally and financially. So Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Washington alleviates the burden. Its two houses (in DC and Virginia) serve families of critically ill children in treatment at area hospitals, providing a home away from home where families can eat meals together, do laundry, play, and get a respite from hospital life. While a small daily donation is welcome, no family is turned away for inability to pay. In addition, RMHC DC runs the Ronald McDonald Family Room at Children’s National Medical Center, where parents can get a cup of coffee, reheat a meal, check email ... or simply relax. Most importantly, these programs allow caregivers to stay close to children during treatment – a practice known to improve the healing process. And finally, the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile brings free healthcare to the District’s under- and un-insured children, including primary medical care, immunizations, dental and eye exams, and mental health services. Keeping families together; keeping children healthy – what a wonderful cause.
Headquarters: DC-Ward 5
Where They Operate: DC-Citywide; MD-Statewide; VA-Statewide; Internationally; While our Ronald McDonald Houses serve families from across the country and around the world, our Kids Mobile Medical Clinic/Ronald McDonald Care Mobile, operated in partnership with MedStar Georgetown University Hospital, serves children in DC Wards 5, 6, 7, and 8. Our second Ronald McDonald Care Mobile, home to the FITNESS Program, launched in 2017 and also partners with schools in under-served areas of DC. The program will be expanding into VA and MD.
Age Groups Served: Infants (0-2); Pre-K (3-4); Youth (5-11); Pre-teen/teen (12-17); Young adult (18-24)
Schools They Work In: FITNESS Program:; Barnard ES; Neval Thomas ES; KIPP Aim; KIPP Heights; KIPP Lead; Monument Academy; JC Nalle
- Nights of lodging provided in 2017:
- Number of children in underserved neighborhoods who received primary care at the KIDS Mobile Medical Clinic/Ronald McDonald Care Mobile:
Nearly 500 in 2017
- Students and families who gained knowledge around proper nutrition and exercise thanks to the FITNESS Program in 2017:
Over 1400 students and families at 5 K-8 schools
- Families who visited Ronald McDonald Family Rooms, designed to support a family centered approach to care, at Children's National and Inova Children's Hospital:
2700 in 2017
- Number of Hospitality A La Cartes bringing compassionate hospitality bedside to families on Hematology/Oncology, Med/Surg, Cardiac Care and the PICU and NICU units:
Awards & Recognition
Charity Navigator 4 Stars
GuideStar Platinum Rating
BBB.Org Accredited Charity Status
Business.Org Top Charity 2018
- $3 million or higher
- The current budget for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Washington, DC is: $1 million to $3 million
- $500k to $1 million
- Less than $500k
Catalogue charities range in size from $100,000 to
About the Catalogue for Philanthropy
Each year 120 expert reviewers evaluate applicants for distinction, merit, and impact. Each featured charity has been successfully site visited and its financials given the thumbs up. The Catalogue for Philanthropy charges no fees and raises funds separately to support its work. Since 2003, it has raised over $40 million for charities across the Greater Washington region.
The Catalogue for Philanthropy looks to friends like you to keep our services independent and entirely free of charge. Consider a small contribution to the Catalogue to cap off your gift and help the causes you care about get the full support they deserve!