In 1998, parent leaders created Educación Para Nuestro Futuro, founded by Escuela Bolivia to meet the educational needs of Arlington’s growing (yet underserved) Latino student population. Today, Edu-Futuro is a multicultural community supporting a diverse group of children, youth, and families – and inspiring young leaders across Northern Virginia. Through its Emerging Leaders Program, low-income immigrant youth take a six-week course focused on leadership development, college prep, and community involvement, and seniors receive year-round, one-on-one advising and support as they prepare for higher education. Most aspire to become the first member of their family to attend college in the US – and they do. A full 100% of last year’s seniors enrolled in college, scholarships in hand. Parents have their own leadership program: a two-month training that strengthens their understanding of the US school system and gives them the skills and confidence to advocate for their children’s academic success. And finally, Edu-Futuro builds bridges across cultures in the broader community, offering after-school and Saturday morning Spanish language classes. Education is the pathway to a successful future. Help pave the way.
Awards & Recognition
• Our partnership with Arlington Public Schools, providing us with program space in 10 schools and a central office.
• The Linowes Leadership Award presented to Elizabeth Clavel, who started as a parent in our classes and currently leads our Parent Leadership Initiative.
• Parent Leadership Initiative graduates, including the chair of the ESOL Citizen’s Advisory Committee, and scholarships awarded from outside sources to graduates of ELP.
• The MetLife Foundation Teacher-Parent Engagement Through Partnership Award- 2002
• Spirit of Giving 100- 2008
• American University Washington College Of Law's Annual Diversity Award- 2009
• National Responsible Fatherhood Capacity Building Initiative Award – 2010
• Young Women of Achievement, Finalist (Executive Director, Eneida Alcalde) – 2011
• Connect with Kids Champion, (Board member, Vivian Delgado) – 2011
- $3 million or higher
- $1 million to $3 million
- $500k to $1 million
- The current budget for Educación Para Nuestro Futuro is: Less than $500k
Catalogue charities range in size from $100,000 to
About the Catalogue for Philanthropy
Each year 120 expert reviewers evaluate applicants for distinction, merit, and impact. Each featured charity has been successfully site visited and its financials given the thumbs up. The Catalogue for Philanthropy charges no fees and raises funds separately to support its work. Since 2003, it has raised over $40 million for charities across the Greater Washington region.
The Catalogue for Philanthropy looks to friends like you to keep our services independent and entirely free of charge. Consider a small contribution to the Catalogue to cap off your gift and help the causes you care about get the full support they deserve!