In the next decade, 51% of new jobs in Northern Virginia will require skills in science, technology, engineering and math – subjects in which the most disadvantaged students lag significantly behind their more affluent peers. But each year over 70,000 visitors explore, create, get inspired ... and build 21st-century skills at the Children's Science Center. Mobile programs deliver fun, interactive STEM experiences to schools, libraries, and festivals across Northern Virginia. The Lab, a 5,400-square foot, hands-on facility at Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, transforms a mall outing into a scientific journey through themed “experience zones” where learners of all ages tinker, build, and experiment. Subsidizing programs in dozens of Title 1 schools in five counties, the Center is dedicated to closing the STEM achievement gap. Next up: building a world-class children’s science center on donated land in Dulles, VA. You can help lay the foundation.
Headquarters: VA-Fairfax County
Where They Operate: VA-Arlington County; VA-Fairfax County; VA-Loudoun County; VA-Prince William County; VA-City of Alexandria; VA-City of Fairfax; VA-City of Falls Church
Age Groups Served: Pre-K (3-4); Youth (5-11); Pre-teen/teen (12-17)
Population(s) Served: Not applicable
Awards & Recognition
- Opened Northern Virginia’s first children’s museum and science center in 2015.
- Raised $3.5M in past six years to support operations, first museum site build-out, and planning for future science center.
- Serve 50 schools across 5+ jurisdictions with outreach programs annually. 40% of those schools are Title I schools served at no charge with supported by awarded grants. Popularity of program has required blind drawing of applicant schools for past 5 years.
- 2017 NonProfit of the Year by the Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
- 2016 Non-Profit of the year Finalist by the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- 2015 STEM Award by Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
- 2015 NAIOP Award of Merit, Interior Retail Project Children’s Science Center Lab
- 2016 Fairfax County Volunteer Service Award
- Northern Virginia's Children's Science Center finds permanent home in Loudoun
Mon Jul 10 2017, The Washington Post
When visitors enter the Children's Science Center, they are greeted by two distinct sides of the small museum...
- Kids Offer Input on Loudoun's Future Children's Science Center
Thu Apr 27 2017, Loudoun Now
"This is our dream museum," 10-year-old Auhona said. "It's really about how kids can make their mark on the world," 11-year-old Paige added.
- $3 million or higher
- The current budget for Children's Science Center is: $1 million to $3 million
- $500k to $1 million
- Less than $500k
Catalogue charities range in size from $100,000 to
About the Catalogue for Philanthropy
Each year 120 expert reviewers evaluate applicants for distinction, merit, and impact. Each featured charity has been successfully site visited and its financials given the thumbs up. The Catalogue for Philanthropy charges no fees and raises funds separately to support its work. Since 2003, it has raised over $40 million for charities across the Greater Washington region.
The Catalogue for Philanthropy looks to friends like you to keep our services independent and entirely free of charge. Consider a small contribution to the Catalogue to cap off your gift and help the causes you care about get the full support they deserve!