Half of the new jobs created in our region require skills in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and math. Yet, many children, especially from disadvantaged populations, lose interest in STEM careers due to lack of representation and access to STEM enrichment experiences. Children's Science Center provides children and families with the necessary resources for creating awareness and equitable access to STEM education. They deliver their programs directly in the community, at its Lab, a 5,400-square- foot hands-on facility in Fairfax, Virginia. Children's Science Center is rising to the challenge to ensure STEM resources are available and accessible to everyone. Your support will help them continue to meet that challenge.
Headquarters: VA-Fairfax County
Where They Operate: DC-Citywide; VA-Statewide; VA-Arlington County; VA-Fairfax County; VA-Loudoun County; VA-Prince William County; VA-City of Alexandria; VA-City of Fairfax; VA-City of Falls Church
Age Groups Served: Pre-K (3-4); Youth (5-11); Pre-teen/teen (12-17)
Population(s) Served: Not applicable
- Number of Lab guests served in 2023:
- Number of STEM kits distributed to children and families in low-income communities:
- Number of STEM experiences provided at no cost to students attending Title 1 schools:
- Number of visitors welcomed since opening the Lab in 2015:
Awards & Recognition
- Founded in 2004 with a vision to create a world-class science center that ignites the curiosity in all curious learners.
- Opened the community’s first interactive science center in 2015. The Children’s Science Center Lab annually serves tens of thousands of children, school-groups, families and members.
-Launched flagship community program – Family Science Nights – in 2011, delivering a hands-on program that transforms elementary school gyms into a science center for a night. Visits 50 schools throughout region each school year, 50% of which are Title I schools served at no charge.
-Implemented the Youth Development Initiative in 2018, a year-round workforce development and internship program for high school and college-aged students from diverse backgrounds.
-Built a public-private partnership with the Science Museum of Virginia, the Commonwealth, Loudoun County and private funders to fund, design and create the Northern Virginia Science Center. This $100m+ project will break ground in 2024 and is expected to serve hundreds of thousands of visitors annually.
--Fosters an inclusive environment as part of our strategic and annual plan that is guided by our Diversity, Equity, Accessibility and Inclusion Roadmap (DEAI.)
- 2015 STEM Award by Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
- 2015 NAIOP Award of Merit, Interior Retail Project Children’s Science Center Lab
- 2016 Fairfax County Volunteer Service Award
- 2016 Non-Profit of the year Finalist by the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- 2017 NonProfit of the Year by the Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
-2023 Virginia School Board Association Business Honor Roll by the Fairfax County Public School Board
- $3 million or higher
- The current budget for Northern Virginia Science Center Foundation DBA Children's Science Center is: $1 million to $3 million
- $500k to $1 million
- Less than $500k
Catalogue charities range in size from $100,000 to
About Spur Local
Each year 150+ community advocates review applicants on the basis of governance, equity, and impact. Each featured nonprofit has been successfully site visited and its financials given the thumbs up. Spur Local charges no fees and raises funds separately to support its work. Since 2003, it has raised over $57 million for nonprofits across the Greater Washington region.
Spur Local looks to friends like you to keep our services independent and entirely free of charge. Consider a small contribution to Spur Local to cap off your gift and help the causes you care about get the full support they deserve!