According to the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities:
“Winners in five arts categories and three teaching categories were honored with the most prestigious award of the DC Arts Community . The night was also highlighted with a Mayor’s Arts Awards for Visionary Leadership to Anthony A. Williams and Mayor’s Arts Awards of Special Recognition to Paul Jorgensen.
The Mayor’s Arts Award is the highest honor conferred by the District of Columbia in recognition of artistic excellence and service among artists, arts organizations, and arts patrons in the city.
[...] Finalists were chosen by the Mayor’s Arts Awards Advisory Jury comprised of prominent members of the District’s arts community with expertise in dance, music, theatre, literary arts, visual arts and arts education.
Here at Catalogue, we would like to extend some special cheers to the five nonprofits in our network who were recognized last week at the 27th annual awards — many congratulations!
- Art Enables was recognized for Innovation in the Arts
- Atlas Performing Arts Center for Excellence to Service in the Arts
- Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop for Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education
- Step Afrika! for Excellence in An Artistic Discipline
- Koye Oyediji (the Duke Ellington School) for Arts for Teaching, Language Arts