Monday, August 01, 2016
Computer CORE Volunteer Opportunities
CORE’s mission: To help low-income adults acquire the technological and life skills they need to pursue their career aspirations, by providing computer skills and job search skills training to over 200 under- and unemployed adults in the Northern Virginia region each year. Volunteers are at the heart of CORE’s mission. Volunteers help ensure that their students graduate with all the skills and tools they need for successful careers.
Want to help? Instructional Volunteer Team Opportunities
Time commitment required: 1 or 2 classes per week for 6 months; various days available
Locations: Alexandria, Baileys Crossroads, Fairfax, Falls Church, Gum Springs, Herndon and Sterling
- Lead Computer Instructor: Teach basic computing skills curriculum to 12 students and monitor their progress. Topics include, but are not limited to: email, Internet, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Computer Teaching Assistant: Assist the Lead Instructor in teaching basic computing skills curriculum to twelve students. Monitor their progress; ensure that students receive the individual attention needed to be successful; and assist with the completion of necessary administrative tasks. Topics include, but not limited to: email, Internet, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Career Development Instructor: Coach students on practical career and life skills in order to find new jobs, get promotions and/or enroll in further training/education. Teach skills such as resume writing, cover letter writing, goal-setting, planning, interviewing, and online searches.
You Don’t Have to Be a Teacher: More Volunteer Opportunities
- Saturday Morning Tutors (Baileys Crossroads Location): Assist students who need extra support, to make up an exam or a missed class, polish their resumes or simply to review challenging concepts.
- Events Ambassadors: Promote Computer CORE by becoming a speaker, staffing a booth or providing information for potential volunteers/donors at events throughout the greater DC area.
When: Mon Aug 1 2016 (10:30 AM – 1:00 PM)
Where: Northern Virginia (Various Locations); Office located at 5881 Leesburg Pike, STE 204, Falls Church, VA 22041
Contact: Eileen Joyner, (703) 931-7346
Tuesday, August 02, 2016
Byte Back Volunteer Orientation
Join Byte Back for a one-hour orientation to introduce you to the organization, share volunteer opportunities, and find the match for your talents and availability.
When: Tue Aug 2 2016 (6:00 PM – 7:00 PM)
Where: Byte Back 9th Street, 3420 9th Street, Washington, DC 20017
Contact: Tamikia Wims, (202) 529-3395
For more information: click here